Wednesday, December 23, 2009

AVATAR

Last week when I told my sister that I wanted to watch two movies "Avatar" and "3Idiots", she thought that the former to be an Indian movie and the later to be an English movie. I don't blame her for this confusion, simply becuase the titles make anyone to think on those lines.
Yesterday I got a chance to watch the movie "Avatar" in 3D. The word Avatar which means "Incarnation" in Sanskrit is specifically used when the benign creator takes a physical form for the sole purpose of destroying evil and restoring peace and happiness in the world. As per this definition the title of this movie is anachronistic. I'll tell you why. Here the entity that takes this avatar is not God. It's a human. The world in which this happens is not our earth but an imaginative moon (Pandora) to an imaginative planet and last but not the least the avatar doesn't destroy any evil but delivers punitive kick ass treatment to human beings.
Interestingly the name Pandora is lifted from Greek mythology. I am impressed by the imagination of James cameron for combining Hindu and Greek mythologies for just the premise of the story. In "Gladiator" russel crowe utters a great line which goes like "On my signal, unleash hell". James unleashes something far more appealing and far more engaging, his "imagination" upon us. The voice over at the beginning of the movie sets the tone for the things that would follow.
In my opinion there are two kinds of movies, one that touches an emotional chord in the heart and another that excites the gray matter in the brain. This movie though comes under the later it still has got some moments that really make us cringe with emotion towards the plight of the naavi population. Never in my life was I in direct confrontation with the interests of humans. I vouched for the indigenous population just like the protagonist and not for the humans. I wanted to be in that green world till eternity and never to return to planet earth which was referred to as dying planet in the movie. On the whole the movie embarassed me for being a human being. This is the intention of the movie I guess, and I give two thumbs up for hitting the nail on the head.
This movie has shattered many stereotypes of all the previous sci-fi movies. Here we are the aliens, we are aggressors, we are the cruel beings, we are the manipulators,we are anything and everything except that is good.
If you say that all the above lines are just my assumptions, exaggerations of just a movie and wish to avoid it then you can do so if not for one defining factor; it brings out the kid within you, who with his mouth agape, wonder in his eyes wants to get lost in an imaginative world despite the fact that it's fictional. I believe that all of us want to experience that feeling. I want to and this movie gives you that experience in a more palpable way.

Verdict: Grab it!!!

1 comment:

Siva said...

So can I take my sister kids for the movie who cannot appreciate the content but can go well the presentation?