Sunday, December 27, 2009

"3i"

Well, let me talk about 3i today. Hold on. Before you start to imagine this as another product from Apple, then you can not be any farther from the truth. 3i stands for "3 Idiots" a Hindi movie.

There are few movies which give you a genuine reason to watch them in a theatre. They need not necessarily be high budget movies with cutting edge CGI technology and big stars. They can also be simple, song and dance movies with predictable plots and a bit of melodrama. If Avatar took me to a different world, then 3i took me into the movie itself. I literally lived this movie for its entire duration. If memories of my polytechnic days came flooding into my brain by watching the drama, then the emotions depicted in the movie brought back the feelings of warmth to my heart. Hence I would say that this movie has been a satisfying experience both intellectually and emotionally.

Earlier I said I watched this movie, which I think is an understatement. I actually conversed with this movie which seemed to have acquired a life of its own. There are lot of moments in the movie which made say 'yes', 'Oh no' and 'oh my God' as if talking to another person. From the audience reaction I conclude that they have also been acknowledging and talking to this movie just I had been doing. In the end when the credits start rolling I felt like I had a great one to one talk with a good friend. I guess most of you are bound to feel the same way.
At the beginning when Boman Irani who is the head of the engineering college gives a lecture with a lisp, I immediately related that character to a lecturer in my polytechnic. When he chides Aamir khan in front of the entire class, I recollected how that lecturer did "saamohik balaatkaar" of me in one of the classes.(You have to watch the movie to understand & appreciate this statement :-)).
When one idiot is shown as wearing rings in his hand, each one for a specific purpose, one to get a good job, one for his father to heal, one for his mother to be relieved of her stress, one for his sister to get a good match, I recollected a colleague of mine in my previous company who had three rings in his left hand, each one for a specific purpose.
In the climax I am damn sure that the movie made everybody to get lost in that sweet sensation that's felt during the first kiss of their lives. For those who haven't experienced their first kiss, it would still have made them to get lost in a sweet sensation that's felt at least in anticipation of it :-).

Enough of all the above and still there are these things in this movie to which the entire audience related themselves to and they are, the helplessness one feels during failure, lack of courage to pursue what one actually wants and reluctance to prioritise one's needs and goals. Here it seems that this movie drew something from another movie "Taare zameen par" and implied it to the current context of the travails of the college going students.

All the above factors give you a reason to watch a movie in a theatre as i had mentioned earlier.

There are few melodramatic scenes which could have gone awry, but for the exceptional deftness the way they were given an end.

Like all other movies, Aamir khan's movies too have songs, that too good ones. But the similarity ends there. In his movies, almost all the songs are played in the background, Situation demanding a song instead of a song demanding a situation and more importantly never hindering the story flow. Further the songs boost the narration and creates a pleasant impact.

If i have said so much about this movie, should I tell anything more about the performances of the cast, without which the movie could have breathed life? I don't think so. You have to watch it for yourself!!!!

Verdict: A genuine reason to watch a movie and that too in a theatre near you.

1 comment:

Rajesh Kumar Babu said...

Nice one reddy...will watch this weekend...Rajesh